Friday, January 13, 2012

Our Stories are Back: The Big Over Easy




Mama has brought back our morning story hour. Over Christmas, she heard about a mystery series based on nursery characters for adults written by Jasper Fforde. We are listening to the first one The Big Over Easy: A Nursery Crime a Jack Spratt detective story that covers the murder of Humpty Dumpty.

Mama has a thing about the Humpty murder case. She used to make her students try to decide who murdered Humpty as part of a class exercise on traditional literature, so she is enjoying this story.

She is finding it funny how they are mixing Grimm's, nursery rhymes, and mythology all in one book.

Katy has been disappointed that there is little romance in the novel. Bailey was looking for more action. However, Mama loves the combination of mystery and fairytale characters. We will update more when we finish listening to the story.

10 comments:

  1. Oh poor Humpty. I'm waiting for the final review - I have been doing a lot more reading recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom was a teacher too??? Cool. Did she get Be Tired like my mom did? I love it that my mom BeTired.. now she is home all day with me.

    My mom used to do LOTS of stuffs with stories and her students.. they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually sounds like a great adult read. I'm going to check it out! Cute pic, by the way! Looks like they're listening so intently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great book to curl up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, storytime is back! With the cold weather, it is a good way to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have flunked your Mama's class had I had her as a teacher. I HATE mysteries :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so lucky! My mom never reads me any story. She said she had read enough to Rosie donkey years ago :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun read! I used to love the Brother's Grim stories when I was a kid. Cute that they resurrected them and put a new spin on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yea, that is scary stuffs!

    woos, Tessa

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and try to respond back on your blogs.
I am sorry I cannot comment on blogs which require Google + or Facebook to comment. I am not a member and have no plans to join.