Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Bailey's Anniversary


It is hard to believe it was a year ago that we lost Bailey. He was such an important part of our lives for 13 years and then he was gone.

My DH had never had a dog growing up and you couldn't have asked for a more perfect first dog than Bailey. It is unusual to get a purebred puppy from a breed rescue, but over the years I just came to believe Bailey was meant to be a member of our family. The route just had a couple of extra stops until he made it to us. He was gentle, sweet, kind, and his mischief was manageable especially after we all enrolled in obedience school to learn that cuteness does not excuse bad behavior.


Bailey was good with kids and dogs alike. When dogs got loose in the neighborhood, Bailey could often calm them enough that they could be captured by nervous owners and brought home. When my grandmother required nursing home care Bailey was a frequent visitor. Not only did he spend time with her, but he seemed to know which patients needed him and he had a route he visited on the way in and out to stop and comfort those who would welcome him. He seemed to sense those who were afraid or hostile to dogs and stayed away.


He loved to play ball and Frisbee and even as he got older and stiffer he would continue to try to leap up and grab both ball and disk. He also loved his stuffed animals. Annie has started sleeping with one of the teddy bears Bailey got as a puppy That's how gentle he was with his toys.

I'm not sure where Katy would be today without Bailey's love and encouragement. She was do withdrawn and scared when she came to us. I still credit Bailey's love and encouragement for the greatest progress she made in those early months. She felt safe and protected with him and she slowly came out of her shell to realize the world was nearly as scary a place as she had thought. He encouraged her to explore, but sheltered her when she was scared. At times she literally would almost hide under him when we were out in public and people approached. Today she is has confidence and the ability to handle challenging situations because he stood with her when she didn't.


One thing that truly impressed me with Bailey is the way he could read people. Family and friends who were afraid or had little interest in dogs loved Bailey. He had a way of charming them, overcoming their fears, and getting people to relax around him. It was a beautiful gift. My only regret is I didn't have the resources to train Bailey as a therapy dog. I think he had a great untapped gift that I kept to myself.

On this day I just want to thank him for the 13 amazing years he gave us. My darling angel you truly were a great blessing in our lives.

6 comments:

  1. I can tell how much you luved him. Big hugs today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we sure miss him. Can't believe it has been a year already. Sending you love and (((hugs))) as you remember DakotasDen

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post to remember Bailey
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss, he sounds like he was one of the special ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, can't believe it's been a year. I found that one year anniversary hard. I hope you are comforted by all your wonderful memories of him.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and try to respond back on your blogs.
I am sorry I cannot comment on blogs which require Google + or Facebook to comment. I am not a member and have no plans to join.